20 June 2010

Move over Margaret Fulton!

This morning I decided to bake scones after my driving lesson. The reason? Well, last week I was given a gift of citrus marmalade from Stanthorpe. Lovely! But, those who know me well would be aware that I do not mix sweet and savoury - for me, this means no sweet spread (i.e. marmalade) on savoury bases (i.e. bread or English muffins). I don't even do fruit toast, because I hate dried fruit. Do you see my dilemma?! So, in order to enjoy this tasty gift, I needed to make scones or pikelets. I've never made scones before, so I figured I'd give it a try. Margaret Fulton helped a little...

Margaret only said to use a 4cm cutter. This sounded very small to me, but I complied with her wishes. The resulting scones did rise considerably, but I still consider them to be little. Mini scones, if you will. Maybe I kneaded the dough too much? Or maybe back when Margaret wrote her scone recipe they weren't intended to be super-sized like most food is now. In any case, I'm pleased with them.

Margaret kindly suggested that I wrap them in a tea towel when hot to make nice, soft scones. I obliged. Then I decided to sample a warm one with citrus marmalade. Delicious. Maybe if I get really adventurous (and decadent) I'll whip up some cream for afternoon tea. 

9 comments:

  1. ooo. yum. can't wait to indulge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pikelet is like a tiny, fluffier version of a pancake, about 4 inches across. Best enjoyed with strawberry jam and whipped cream. My mum makes delicious pikelets! Maybe I'll get her recipe and make you some...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, i would not be opposed to trying this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Name the day, and I will make you pikelets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never make my scones look risen and soft. Mine always come out looking a bit like rock cakes! Gosh her recipe book really looks like an encyclopedia!! Where do you even start? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! I was worried because mine looked like little rock cakes that had risen very slightly, but thankfully they were soft in the middle!

    I'm not sure what I'll try from Margaret's encyclopedia yet, but I'm certainly open to suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Looks like they're nice and light.

    ReplyDelete